Friday, January 11, 2013

A Week at the Beach

On the last day of school, we took off on a 9 day trip down to sunny Oceanside with Baylen's parents, Tavi, Brian, and their kids.  Because the first part of June is still considered off season, we found a killer deal on a couple of condos right on the beach.  Ours was a two story condo at North Coast Village and was PERFECT for our needs!  We shared it with Boyd and Terry and ended up paying only $500 for the entire week.  Did I mention it was right on the beach?  This was the view from our bedroom balcony.  
The grounds of North Coast Village are breathtaking.  I felt like I was at a resort.  I wish that I had taken some pictures, but there were coy ponds running through it, a BBQ area, a little putting green, and a gorgeous pool and hot tub.

The kids loved the pool.  I personally thought it was too cold and stuck with the hot tub. 

 The first day we were there we went on a walk down the beach to the pier.   It was definitely an adventure!  The kids had fun collecting mini sand crabs.
 We ran into a few beached mermaids.  How weird is that?!  They were actually doing some kind of photo shoot, but Ashlyn and Ally were convinced that they were real.  In fact, to this day, Ashlyn still swears that they are real.
 It was a very busy weekend morning on the pier which made it lots of fun.  There were several people fishing.  This guy had just caught a bat ray.  We saw a few people who had caught little sharks.  We were also able to see a huge pelican that was hanging out on the rail.  Ashlyn loved it and watched it sit there for a good 15 minutes.
 It was a pretty cool day, but on the way back from our walk the kids decided that they were going to brave the ocean.  Brrrr.
 Someone needs to teach this kid that it is not safe to suck on a sucker while boogie boarding.
We loved staying right on the beach.  We spent several days just hanging out there.  We were all in heaven.  

Here is Kell flying a kite.  I picked up a few kites at the dollar store in Utah.  They were amazing.  They went sooo high.  In fact, we had several people come up and ask us where they could buy kites like that.  I decided that next time I'm going to buy a ton and sell them on the beach :)
 This is how Ashlyn flew her kite.  Do you see the end wrapped into her life jacket?
 This picture shows the kite that Ashlyn is flying up in the air.
                                                   
Morgan, Kayla and Tanner LOVED boogie boarding.  It kind of made me nervous sending Tanner out, but he did great!


 Boyd spent most of his beach time relaxing in the shade playing his harmonica.  That is what he considers a dream vacation!

I love Ally's precious face in this picture.  She grew very attached to Baylen on this trip.  She called him her best friend.  She was always saying, "I want to hold my best friend's hand." or "Where's my best friend?"
We did lots of playing in the sand.  This mermaid is WAY cuter than the ones we saw on our walk!
 We all had fun building sand castles.
 This is one of my favorite feelings ever… cool sand between my toes.
 I think that even little Joshy is a beach boy!!!  Look at that smile

 This is our last day.  I think we totally wore Ashlyn out.  She wanted me to make her into a mermaid but then she decided it felt good and wanted to stay and rest.  She stayed there for probably an hour and a half.  Most of the time, though, she wanted a towel over her head.  It made me super nervous because you couldn't even tell the a person was there.  I was so worried that someone was going to come and step on her. 


No comments: