This is a warning and disclaimer to the outside reader. There are so many things that I don't want to ever forget about this trip. So, since this is "my blog", I'm not going to worry so much about boring the outside reader. Skim through what you want. But, it will be a travel log, and it will be LONG :)
As a little background, several years ago Baylen's parents decided to share their travel miles and Marriott points (from all of Boyd's traveling) with their kids. They told each couple that they would take us on a vacation of our choice. They started with the oldest, Tavi, and as soon as they had enough miles for the next trip, the next sibling in line got their turn. We were way excited but it seemed like an eternity away before we would get our turn. Well, Tavi and Breven had their turn. But, when it was time for Banyan to go, it wasn't a good time for him. So, it was down to us (a definite perk to being the oldest twin)! Baylen and I spent hours and hours stewing over where to go. How do you choose when you have the option of ANYWHERE?! We really came close to deciding on Europe. But, in the end we thought we'd rather spend a little longer than one week there. We had the option of getting a suite in Aruba. But we researched it and thought we'd rather go somewhere more lush and tropical. Several of our neighbors had been to Kauai lately and they all LOVED IT. So, we started looking into that. We had our struggles trying to figure out how to make it work. But, we finally got it all figured out and booked for November 2010.
Preparing to leave your family for a whole week is no easy task, so I was very relieved when we finally got to the airport. I can't tell you how surreal it seemed when we walked up to our terminal and saw this on the screen...
I was actually flying to Hawaii!
Our trip over was an adventure, to say the least! When we had just got to the pacific ocean (we passed the Golden Gate Bridge) the captain came over the speaker and informed us that we needed to land the plane. One of our hydraulics had gone out and we were being diverted to LAX. They insisted that it wasn't an emergency. But, I think most of us had a little tinge of anxiety. While at LAX airport, we were not allowed to leave the plane. We sat on the tarmac for 2 1/2 hours while waiting for them to get everything fixed. We had an awesome flight attendant who happened to be a magician on the side. He entertained us with some amazing tricks. However, we definitely spent a lot of the time worrying about how we were going to catch our connecting flight from Oahu to Kauai. We called the inter-island airline and found out that they only flew to Kauai once a day. So, if we missed our flight, we would be stuck in Oahu, without any accommodations, for 24 hours.
When we finally got to Oahu, we had 20 minutes before our next flight left. Baylen took off running to collect our luggage, and we took off running to our plane. The Oahu airport is not the best place to be when you are running late and trying to figure out where your plane is. We ended up having to take a shuttle and then go through what seemed like a huge maze. When we got to the plane, everyone else was already loaded and waiting for us. However, we couldn't get ahold of Baylen. The people there were really nice and waited as long as they could. Just when they told us they couldn't wait any longer, Baylen found us. Major relief!!! When Baylen finally got on the plane, all of the passengers clapped. It was stressful at the time. But, thinking back on it now, I can't help but laugh.
It was pitch dark by the time we got to Kauai. So, we didn't really get a feel for the island until we woke up the next morning. However, the humidity and warm air were wonderful (although I'm not going to lie when I say I did feel a bit clausterphobic with the thick air)!!!
I cannot say enough about how amazing our resort was. It was definitely a place that I would classify for the rich and famous. I felt a little out of place. When we drove up, I felt like we were driving through the gates of a palace. There were tiki torches lit everywhere, and huge trees, beautiful pillars, ponds and streams. There were times I found myself holding my breath as I took it all in.
I loved traveling to a western time zone because we were up and ready to go by 6 or 7 every morning without it feeling early to us!
Our luggage didn't make it over to Kauai with us. Luckily, we had a change of clothes in our carry on. But, I didn't have any makeup or toiletries. I was so nervous that we would spend the whole week without our luggage showing up. I will definitely pack my carry on a little differently from now on!
That morning we went to tour the Hindu Montesary. We got there really early, so we drove around taking in the beauty for a while.
On Wednesday we also drove out and walked around the Lihue lighthouse. There wasn't anyone out there to let us in but it was fun just to walk around.
That night we walked along our private beach and spent a little time relaxing out there. Our internal clocks were still out of wack. I felt like I was 80 years old when I started getting incredibly (can't keep my eyes open) tired at 9:00 at night. So, we hit the sack kind of early.
Thursday was forecasted to be overcast, cool and rainy all day. So, we tried to plan things that we could do in the rain. We started our day with a trip to see Wailua Falls. It was beautiful.
I think it was really the only stop that I felt was super touristy. My favorite was the men weaving and selling hats right under this sign... (no vending)
We got some delicious Kalua pig for lunch at the Lihue BBQ inn and then headed to the Grove Farm Plantation for a tour. It was pretty interesting. However, I think they could have covered the information they did in half the time. There were some beautiful flowers that I was able to snap pictures of...
Later that afternoon we headed down to Poipu on the south end of the island. We had to drive through the famous tree tunnel.
and then went to see some hula dancers perform
Terry bought me a beautiful lei there. I loved it. I can't even describe how beautiful it was and how incredible it smelt.
Afterwards, we went to the famous Brick Oven Pizza. They had a dessert pizza there that was incredible. Who would think to top a pizza with carmel, chocolate chips and a sweet cream cheese glaze. Someday I'm going to figure out the recipe!
That night we got back to our hotel in time to sit in the hot tub for a while. Baylen and I also swam in the pool. Seriously the most incredible pool I have EVER seen!
On Friday Boyd, Baylen and I got up early for our Secret Falls excursion. Our trip started by kayaking the Wailua River.
I had never been in a kayak before and was a little worried. But, it was a lot easier than I imagined. I think there were only a few times that Baylen got totally frustrated with my paddling (although he was a good sport about it). After our two mile paddle down the river, we docked our kayaks and started the hiking portion of the trip.
Here are two crazy cool things we learned during our hike. This is a picture of a walking tree. The roots are outside of the ground and the tree actually "walks" to where there is water. It's not fast enough to see, but still awesome!
We ended up at the beautiful Secret Falls. We were able to swim in the pool right below the falls. Baylen and I also went and stood under them. It was cold!
By this point in time, Baylen was dying to hit the beach. We had been there two whole days and hadn't gotten in the ocean yet. We went to Lydgate Park which is an amazing place to snorkel. There are two huge areas that are totally surrounded by big boulders. It is shallow enough that you can walk through the whole thing. But, there are TONS OF FISH!!! We were heading to a show later that night and Terry and I didn't think we had time to shower and get ready again. So, just Boyd and Baylen got in the water and we enjoyed time together relaxing on the beach.
We decided to do something a little less illegal next :). We went to Poipu Beach to do a little snorkeling. It was a more crowded beach (like you see in California) but it had some awesome snorkeling. I couldn't believe how many fish there were!
We spent that night reading on the beach.
The sunset was so beautiful that I had fun with the camera, too.
Monday we drove up the North Shore. That drive definitely won the prize for the most spectacularly beautiful scenery I have ever seen. Terry's camera was clicking nonstop and I'm sure everyone got tired of me exclaiming how beautiful everything was. Sooooo green and amazing! We tried stopping at Tunnels Beach to snorkel but it was closed down due to the intense swells. So we drove on to Ke'e Beach. This was my favorite beach.
We stopped at several other places on the north shore. I think I could have spent the entire week just up there and been in heaven!
Tuesday morning was spent lounging around the resort. We had smoothies on the beach and than did a little exploring.
This trip was absolutely something that I will remember forever. It was so fun to spend one on one time with Boyd and Terry. We did a lot of driving in the car and while we did, we would ask them all sorts of questions about their childhood and early years of marriage. There was so much they told us that not even Baylen had heard before. I am so blessed to have the in laws that I do and am grateful for the opportunity I had to get to know them better in a place that I consider paradise. Terry has had lots of painful medical procedures done with her cancer since we've been back. She said that whenever the doctors tell her to go to her happy place, she goes in her mind to Kauai. I think that Kauai is definitely one of my happy places... a place that I hope I get the opportunity to visit again someday!
One final, very grateful, note... I just have to say that this trip never would have happened if it hadn't been for my mom. While we were snorkeling, cruising, kayaking, eating, and relaxing, she was making dinner, running kids around, helping with homework, breaking up arguments, and giving my kids an amazing week that they will never forget. Thanks, mom!



1 comment:
Fun! Of course I had to read all of it. It was like reading a good book and enjoying it. I am glad you had a great time. I will have to get Jon to go with me sometime. We love ya.
Post a Comment