Friday, May 25, 2012

Smartie Pants

So Ashlyn continues to amaze me everyday.  Sometimes I think that I'm totally holding her back by being her mom.  She is so darn smart and I don't do enough to encourage her in her learning.  The way that she thinks, being only 4, is crazy.  Here are a few examples...

The other day she was playing her Nickelodeon fit game on the wii.  The game is an exercise game where you have to do different things in a race.  Ashlyn was using her remote to paddle a canoe.  Part way through the race she said, "Mom, since Dora is facing the opposite way from me, should I use my opposite hand to follow her." 

One day during family home evening we were talking about happy homes.   I was trying to explain that all homes are different and had the kids tell me what kind of animals live in the water, trees, etc.  When I asked about trees, each of the kids said an animal.  Of course there were the expected answers, like bird.  But, when it got to Ashlyn, she casually said Spider Monkey.  What on earth is a spider monkey?!  I had never heard of that animal before.  But, don't fear, I found out it does exist. 

One night Ashlyn was looking at the pictures in the kids scripture reader.  She came up to me, pointed at a word, and said, "Mom does that say Ammaron?  She then proceeded to read the rest of the sentence.  That was our first experience with the fact that she can actually read.  Another day she came up to me and asked if I would help her with her reading.  She grabbed a book and started reading away.  There were only a few words that I really had to help her with.  She was reading words like farmer and corn without even sounding them out.  I have to explain that we haven't really been working on reading at all, so going from not reading to reading like that totally blew my mind.

Two nights ago I was helping Hailey with her homework.  There was a story problem that she was really struggling with.  It said, "Kyle ate 2 slices of oranges after each swim race.  He participated in 3 races.  How many orange slices did he eat."  Poor Hailey was not understanding this.  So I read it to her a few different times.  Ashlyn sat listening and after a few minutes couldn't take it any more.  She called out, "It's 6."  We all got a good laugh out of the fact that Ashlyn is answering 2nd grade math problems.  

Just this week, she has started insisting on doing "her" homework each night.  She grabs Tanner and Mickell's old 1st grade math workbook and will do several pages.  She is answering problems like 2+5=, 9+1= without any help at all.  The one thing that does frustrate her is when she writes the answer and doesn't like how her number looks.  The other night she was so so frustrated.  She kept saying, "My 2 looks like a Z."  Nothing I said helped her feel better.  Finally, in desperation to get her to stop whining, I said, "Ashlyn, you have to remember that you are only four."  She said, "I don't care, I want it to look like a 2."  I'm glad she is driven to do her best.  I'm just hoping that we can figure out a way to challenge her enough in school since she can already process 2nd grade work :)!  

No comments: