We finally did it! We finished the Book of Mormon as a family! I am ashamed to say how long it took us. But, in our defense, we've been reading with little kids. So, for many years, we didn't read much more than a few verses a night.
We told the kids that if we finished before Spring Break, that we could spend the week partying. The last several nights before Spring Break, we had to do a few read-a-thons to finish in time. But, WE DID IT!
It's been a great experience and I know that we are a stronger family because we did it. It definitely wasn't always easy. There were more nights than I'd care to admit when I really wished I could just send the kids off to bed without reading. But, I'm grateful for a husband who is so good at helping us consistently read. If there was a night or two that we didn't read for some reason, I definitely felt a void.
I'm grateful for the several small moments we've had reading where I know my kids felt the spirit.
As we finished, Baylen challenged the kids to follow Moroni's promise. He asked them to start reading the Book of Mormon on their own and to pray about whether it is true or not. Tanner took that challenge to heart and has been reading every night. One morning he was telling me about his scripture reading the night before. He said that his eyes started watering for no reason. Another night he came up and asked me if I had ever heard anyone say that it is better to read the scriptures out loud. He then went on to say, "Last night I just had this feeling that I should read them out loud. When I did, the spirit was so strong." As he shared this experience with me, his eyes were full of tears. That moment definitely goes in as one of my most special moments! He is such an incredible example to me. I can't remember if I've ever blogged about this or not, but quite often, when Baylen is home, Tanner will ask if he can wake Baylen up early so that they can study their scriptures together. I've overheard several of these mornings. Baylen always relates what they are reading to how it will help Tanner prepare for and be a great missionary some day. I love that Tanner initiates these early mornings! He is going to be a great missionary!
9 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment