I have a journal that I keep of the little miracles and tender mercies that I see every day in my life. Most of the things I write about are too personal to put up on the internet. However, I do want to include this experience so that I have it in my blog book.
On Thursday, since Baylen was home to watch Ashlyn, I decided it was a good time to go to the temple. Several things came up that morning and I kept thinking that I couldn't let them get in the way. I didn't make it to the temple in November and nothing was going to get in my way that day. So, I got ready and headed out. Well, by "nothing getting in my way", I didn't even imagine that category 2 strength hurricane intense winds actually just might.
I first noticed something different as I drove up 200 North. There were several semi trucks parked on the road. I thought it was strange but really started questioning what was going on when I turned on to the on ramp and had to squeeze between AT LEAST 25 semis parked on both sides of the on ramp. If I would have been smart I would have realized that something was wrong and backed off the on ramp. However, I drove through the semis and onto the freeway. It took me a whole 3 seconds to realize that my life was in serious danger. The wind was more intense than I had ever experienced in my life. I didn't know whether I should stop right there (like many other vehicles were) or try to get to the next exit. Terrified, I decided that I needed to get off the freeway, so slowly I drove on. I made it to the next exit but then realized that I didn't know what to do next. The winds were even more intense on the off ramp because it was higher and totally unprotected. I knew that if I tried to cross over the freeway, I would blow off the bridge to the freeway below. As I was stopped, waiting for the light to turn green, I think I experienced one of the most terrifying moments of my life as the mini van in front of me was rocking back and forth on the sides of it's tires. I could feel that I was doing the same. I called Baylen in a state of panic and asked him what I should do. He confirmed what I already knew... I needed to turn left and go across the bridge to the other side so that I could take the back roads home. To say that I was beside myself would be an understatement. How was I going to cross that bridge and live? However, a few seconds later I had a prompting that I should turn right. I had no idea where I was going but I turned right and somehow made it into a neighborhood. I thought I'd be a little more protected there. As I looked around, I was in total shock. It seriously looked like a hurricane had gone through. All of the fences were scattered in streets, every stop sign I passed was bent in half, most of the houses had all of their siding torn off and there were countless huge uprooted trees fallen everywhere. I assumed that I would be trapped on the west side of Farmington for several hours. But, another little miracle occurred when my mom (with the help of map quest) was able to help me find a way to get home. As soon as I got home I immediately turned on the tv to learn that I was in Farmington at the exact time that the worst winds were pulsing through there. I saw video of flying signs, branches and power lines. The building that I was stopped next to had one of those huge construction trailers blow away. My mini van is way lighter weight than one of those and I feel really blessed that I wasn't in the same situation as that trailer or dozens of other semis, cars, and mini vans that were tipped by the wind. That area was actually declared as being in a state of emergency. I know that I was inspired to turn right. With as bad as the destruction was on the west side, the east side was so much worse. I feel like Heavenly Father really protected me and helped me know what I should do to get home safely.
They canceled school on Friday because of all the damage. They also had us go home early from church today so that the guys could go help clean up from the damage before another huge wind storm hits tonight. Pretty crazy stuff!
9 years ago



1 comment:
Oh my goodness. Mindy was telling me about crazy winds in Utah. I would have panicked. I am so glad that you are okay. You are so awesome to follow the promptings and most importantly he really looks out for you. I do hope you are safe and your family was well. We sure love you
Post a Comment