Sunday, April 28, 2013

Random

Here are a few random things that have been happening in our lives...


I always love Sundays because the kids are "forced" to play with each other.  Not really forced, but given the opportunity.  We don't play with friends on Sundays and we limit our TV watching.  So, the kids usually end up playing well together (Usually).  

One Sunday, Tanner and I pulled out our 5 in 1 game thing to learn how to play backgammon.  While we were playing, Hailey and Ashlyn used the other pieces to build a city.  I love how they put the Salt Lake temple right in the middle.  Good thinking!

 Apparently Ashlyn got ahold of my camera one day and I ended up with this.  Totally made my day when I was looking back through my pictures and found it.  Can you say blackmail?!!!
                                     
Ashlyn IS NOT a morning person.  I have to give her credit that she IS getting better.  But, it used to be that she could sleep until 11:00 AM without even stirring.  I know I should wake her up earlier, but quite often I get a lot done during that time.  Besides, we might as well enjoy it while we can.  Next year she'll have to get up early for school.  

One day I had to wake her up at 9:00 to go help with an auction in Hailey's class.  You would have thought it was 4 in the morning.  I got her out of bed and then ran to the laundry room to grab her clothes out of the dryer.  When I came back, she had fallen asleep in our dress up container.
 Because Ashlyn sleeps in so late, she of course has a hard time falling asleep at night.  Her dad, on the other hand, has to get up at five in the morning most days.  So, he goes to bed around 9 or 9:30.  Rather than Baylen tucking Ashlyn in, Ashlyn tucks Baylen in.  I'm not exactly sure what happens during this tuck in ritual, but I do know that Baylen gets to choose a song that Ashlyn sings to him and then she tucks him in.
 Mickell has become quite the helper.  I love having an older girl!  She's always willing to fill in when I feel like I'm falling short.  She's also a great babysitter.  Between Baylen's two jobs, he is gone a lot.  I swear that life just keeps getting busier and busier the older the kids get.  I am constantly in the car this year with all of the sports and activities that we are in.  It's so nice to just leave the kids home with Mickell.  I can't imagine having to gather all of the kids up each time we have to run someone somewhere.   

I just snapped a picture of her one day while she was making Sunday breakfast.  It seems like Baylen is rarely home on Sunday mornings.  Between getting my lesson finished up and all the kids ready for church, things tend to be chaos.  She helps gives baths and is great at cooking.  This one morning she made us all coffee cake!

A few conversations to remember…

Baylen was leaving one day to go to his home health job.  He dresses a little nicer when he goes there (polo shirt and slacks rather than scrubs).  One day he decided to wear a nice button down shirt.  Anyways, as he was leaving, Ashlyn turned to me and said, "Where is dad going?"  I told her that he was going to work and she said, "Then why does he look so handsome?"

Both Baylen and Ashlyn love spicy things.  The other day Baylen was letting Ashlyn eat some of his spicy chips and Ashlyn said, "We're both in the spicy club."  

One night at dinner we got on the topic of babies.  Ashlyn asked if it hurt when they cut my stomach open.  I told her that they gave me medicine so that I couldn't feel it while it was happening but that it hurt a little after.  She thought for a minute and then turned to Baylen and said, "Your lucky you are a boy."

One day as I was taking Tanner to swim practice he asked me which of our ancestors was a swimmer.  I told him that I didn't know of any ancestors that were on swim teams.  He said that there had to be someone who was a swimmer because it's "in his blood."  He went on to say that he loves everything about water.  He loves drinking it, he loves being in it, etc.  My favorite part of the conversation was when he said "You know, Mickell loves tumbling.  It's in her blood because you were a gymnast."  It was all I could do to stay on the road when I heard that.  I'm not sure where he got the notion that I was a gymnast considering the fact that summersaults make me dizzy and I've never even been able  to do a cartwheel.  I think I'll just let him keep on believing :)

Here's another conversation that I had with Tanner one day.
Tanner:  "How was your day, mom?"
Me: "It was good."
Tanner: "Did you do anything other than cleaning?"
Me: "No, actually I cleaned the entire day."
Tanner: "You should have us clean more.  You really need to take a break once in awhile."

I tell you, that kid is going to make a great husband some day!!!

No comments: