Sunday, June 27, 2010

Derby Day

When I first heard that our cub scout troop was doing a pinewood derby this year, I cringed. I've felt kind of overwhelmed by all that I have on my plate lately. After all the stories and movies about how crazy people get about pinewood derbies, I was kind of stressed. Neither Baylen or I have any experience with building these little cars and we definitely don't have the awesome tools that people say you "NEED" to make a fast car.

The pinewood derby was scheduled to be held the night before we left on our big California trip. We told Tanner that we would be okay if he decided not to do the derby this year (I know, it definitely sounds like a parent of the year comment :) But, of course, he wanted to do it. So, Tanner drew his own little design for the car. A very nice man in our ward helped him cut his pattern out, and Tanner sprayed it with blue spray paint. Baylen attempted to put weights in. But, when we tested the little bugger on our kitchen floor, we could not get it to go straight. Not knowing what else to do, and totally out of time, we decided to leave it just like it was. The whole process took no longer than 3 hours. Trying to prepare him for defeat, Baylen told Tanner over and over that he DEFINITELY would not be in the top three but not to be sad because he got to go to Disneyland the next day.

On the night of the derby, I was a nervous wreck. I was soooo worried that Tanner was going to be in last place by several car lengths each race. I couldn't even watch the first race. Surprise would be an understatement if you describe my expression when I looked up and saw that Tanner took first place in his first race.

The races continued and Tanner took first place every time. In fact, he ended up with the fastest track time on record on that specific track. His little car ended up taking first place that night and Tanner won a pretty awesome 1st place trophy. On the way home that night, Tanner said, "I think that whole thing was just luck." He than went on to say that he hopes that Sam or Braden win next year so that everyone in our cul-de-sac gets a turn to win.
Several week later the cub master (who is one of those crazy derby people) came up to me to ask me what our secret was. I just laughed when I told him how long we spent on our car and that we didn't even sand our axles. I said that I felt bad that we won when so many people spent so many hours on their car. He shook his head and said that most people don't spend hours but weeks and weeks on their cars.

Whether it was luck or a hidden talent that Tanner has, I'm not sure. But congratulations Bud!

No comments: